Friday 22 March 2013

Black Powder ACW Game

Last night I played my first proper game of the Black Powder rules published by Warlord Games. My friend Theo Street had done an excellent job of generating a scenario for us loosely based on the First Battle of Bull Run 1861. Myself Andy B, and John S were the clean living Confederates on the left flank of the Confederate line, taking on the corrupt Northern scum in the shape of John E, Steve, Simon A and Chris J who have flanked crossing the Bull Run creek. The Union forces can be seen crossing the Bull Run Creek from Sudley Mill with Sudley Church clearly visible.  We each had a Brigade (or 2) under our command, and a persona on the battlefield. Myself, I was the famous Stonewall Jackson :)
-

-

-

The Confederate battery is positioned further east covering the Stone Bridge with Union forces visible having crossed Farm Ford.
-
I’m afraid I don’t have time to write up a full AAR, plus the battle is still under way and we will continue it next week. Suffice to say though it must rank as one of my top gaming nights ever. Fabulous banter round the table and wildly varying dice throws at critical times made for an incredibly entertaining game with a perfect blend of Strategic and Tactical decisions having to be made on some great looking terrain. I’m indebted to my friends for the loan of a Brigade of troops (3 Inf Regts of 24 Figs each and 2 guns + 1 mounted C/O).  Deep into the game although they have taken some casualties, all my units are still intact. Inspired as I am, I’ve been and ordered the rules from Amazon. I'm now seriously considering whether to buy the Brigade pack from Perry Miniatures, which at £45 for over 100 figures looks excellent value for money.

No comments: