Monday 24 August 2009

Ramsey 1940 Weekend

Five miles down the road from me is the old WW2 airfield of RAF Upwood. For those interested in its rich history this is a good link. Anyway, once a year the airfield hosts a 1940s weekend. I went along yesterday with my son to have a look at what was going on. There were re-enactors, military vehicles, stalls, marching bands, historic cars, a miniature railway + lots of other stuff. The highlight for me was getting a ride in a FV432 operated by a company called Tanks 4 A Ride.
-
2009-06-23 ~ S1DSCF9920
-
The thing that surprised me was the volume of heat blasted across the top hatch from the engine grills !
In addition they had an Abbot SPG and a Chieftain there as well.
-
2009-06-23 ~ S1DSCF9918
-

5 comments:

BigLee said...

I got a ride in that Abbot a few weeks ago when Tanks 4 A Ride were at the Militray Vehicle and Aviation Show ( http://bigleesminipaintingblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/damyns-hall-military-fair.html )at Damyns Hall in Upminster, Essex (my back yard). Great fun and very noisy!

Vulture said...

My son favoured a ride in the Abbot over the FV432, but they seem to have a long running radiator problem, and at the time when we were there it was out of action !

Nice Blog by the way BigLee. I've become a follower, and added you to my own listing :)

Keep well

Vulture

BigLee said...

The queue for the Abbot was longer that for the other vehicle, partly because it only took 4 passengers at a time. However the 90 minute wait was worth it. My 4 year old daughter was laughing a screaming with glee all the way round (and I admit, so was I!).

Vulture said...

Yikes !! A 90 minute wait ! I salute your dedication ! :)

Fraxinus said...

The Upwood link was fascinating, not an airfield I am familiar with another one on the list to visit!